Skip to main content

The Spectacle...

    I used to peep through his spectacles from behind when he read newspapers -  Just to know how those letters appeared to him. I remember I was in 6th std. those days. He used to teach me Hindi : to be frank that was not the only thing that I learned from him. I always wondered watching him love silence and calmness. At home only I was allowed to enter him room - books, glass framed photos and other valuable certificates kept everyone else away from his room. Many times I have over utilized that freedom which always ended up in a broken frame. But I never got angry on him in between my tears and cries - when he scolds for that.
 

    I saw him for the first time when i was 10. Like any one else would, the first thing I noticed about him was his white khadi dress. Did I miss that gold plated old Parker ink pen? I always dreamed of writing with that. The so called “generation gap” never allowed me to become like him. But today I realize that the time spent with him did influence me a lot. I liked that grey colored shawl the most, printed as “Dakshin Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha 1992" which was awarded to him - among those huge bundle of shawls  in his cupboard. I loved wearing it and doing that award receiving act, in front of that big mirror in his room. Each time I managed to keep it back rushing - hearing his foot steps. I still remember what he told while gifting me that pen on the day I left to Hyderabad for my first job. “What ever field you choose, become the best in that. And be proud to say that you are nothing in other subjects. There are many things valuable than money. Don’t miss your other gifted skills. When you become old like me, those would be only companion to escape from this slowly moving time. All are not lucky like me, to have you in these old days.” He smiled when he said that last sentence. But I could see tears in his eyes through the corners of his spectacle.

    These days, he refuses to recognize me. He refuses to talk to me on phone when I call. He no more remembers my face. My grandpa turns 88 today.


Comments

wavell said…
man this is the best
Unknown said…
"Give me some sunshine, give me some rain ,give me a another chance i want to meet my Grandma once again.."in my case my childhood revolves around my grandma..You made me remember my days when i used to share my moments with my granma, thanks buddy...
Rahul Singh said…
Someone said to me or as I remember… A father finds some reflection of his father in his son; it may define the relationship between ‘A father’ and ‘a son’. And this may also tell u why the Grandfather is usually closer to his grandson. I’ve experienced this personally, spending a good amount of my childhood with my grandpa or ‘Baba’. My basic education was conducted by him only and him being a school teacher of ‘old times’, his disciplined manners made it rather tough for me in the younger days. The days or years I spent with him….has shaped some or most of me. The special bond we shared is rather sometimes a discussion in the family...my aunts, uncles, sibling and cousins… With my growing up (sort of, my age and physique) I feel that bond is not the way it used to be... but its still there...
Rajesh Chalil said…
NidhiN ... U got de real magical touch...wtng for ur next one..
NIDHIN said…
Thanks for those inspirations guys...
Unknown said…
its d best's best .......
Anonymous said…
this is too good.....
when i was reading this,i remember my childhood days.
waiting for next one...
me said…
there s a magic in your writing.... keep on using your magical wand.....am jelous of you for being the best in everything you touch..believe me, u can be a writer toooooooo......
Anonymous said…
as always .....:) i luv u..... :)
NIDHIN said…
Leaving thousands of beautiful memories behind for me.. he passed on 25th JAN 2012...
Anonymous said…
Heart touching , So much connected. good one Nidhin aNNA.

Popular posts from this blog

software engineer

    മൂക്കില്‍ വിരലിട്ട് മൂക്കള എടുത്ത് ഉരുട്ടി വിവിധ ആകൃതിയില്‍ ശില്പ കല നടത്തുക... മൂത്രം ഒഴിക്കുമ്പോള്‍ ചിത്രം വരയ്ക്കുക...കീശയിലെ മഞ്ചാടിക്കുരുവും പളുങ്ക് ഗോട്ടികളും ഉണ്ടാക്കുന്ന താളം കേള്‍ക്കാന്‍ ആഞ്ഞു പായുക... പറന്നു വിളക്കിന്മേല്‍  വീണു പഠിക്കാന്‍ സമ്മതിക്കാത്ത വണ്ടിനെ പിടിച്ചു കാലുകള്‍ വെട്ടി മലത്തി കിടത്തി അതിന്‍റെ വെപ്രാളം കാണുക... പ്ലാവില ഒ ടിച്ച് പശ കൊണ്ട് കളിക്കുക... മഴ പെയ്യുമ്പോള്‍ ഇറയത്തെ വെള്ളത്തില്‍ വാ തുറന്നു കാണിക്കുക... വടക്കെ പറമ്പത്ത് നട്ടിരിക്കുന്ന കപ്പ കമ്പുകള്‍ ഇടക്കിടെ പൊരിച്ചു നോക്കി മുളച്ചോ എന്ന് നോക്കുക... പഴത്തൊലി പശുവിനു കൊടുക്കാതെ അതിനെ വട്ടം ചുറ്റിക്കുക... പാടത്തെ തുമ്പ പൂവിന്മേല്‍ ഇരിക്കുന്ന പൊട്ടന്‍ തുമ്പിയെ പിടിച്ചു അതിന്‍റെ വാലിന്മേല്‍ ഓല നാരു കെട്ടി ഹെലികൊപ്ട്ടര്‍ പറത്തുക... പറമ്പത്ത് കുറുകെ ഒഴുകുന്ന ചാലില്‍ "നെറ്റി മേല്‍ കുത്തുള്ള" മീനിനെ തുപ്പി തുപ്പി വശീകരിച്ചു വെള്ളം ചവിട്ടി തെറിപ്പിച്ചു പിടിച്ച്‌ അതിനെ ചേമ്പിലയില്‍ കൊണ്ടുവന്നു ഹോര്‍ലിക്ക്സ് കുപ്പിയില്‍ വളര്‍ത്തുക...പുളിങ്കൊമ്പില്‍ ഇരുന്നു കൂകുന്ന കുയിലിനെ കൊഞ്ഞനം കാട്ടി പറത്തു

i tried....

I tried it many times..but failed. But still i try.  Each time my alarm rings at 5:00 am sharp, breaking my beautiful dream- i tried it.  Each time i see an accident at road and stand helpless - i tried.  Each time she kisses and takes off her lips from me fastly - i tried to have a closer look how she does it.  Each time while talking to her on phone late night and it gives a beep for low balance - i tried it.  Each time my train throws away some beautiful scenery, leaving a thought i my mind that i could never see it again- i tried.  Each time i made a mistake i tried it.  Even last time when a glass slipped from my hand at office- i tried it.  Each time i missed my company bus at 8:00 am- i tried (this try was just a matured version of what i did at schools - " missing my school bus").  Each time i wake up late to know there is no supply at home and i don't have an ironed shirt to wear - i tried.  Each time i went to CMC to meet her and time comes for her t